Ben Towle is a three time Eisner-nominated cartoonist whose current comics project is the webcomic Oyster War (www.oysterwar.com). His most recent book, Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean (with Sarah Stewart Taylor), a graphic novel for young adults, was released by Disney/Hyperion Books in 2010. The book has received accolades from such publications as The New York Times and Publishers Weekly and was a Junior Library Guild selection. His previous work includes the historical fiction graphic novel Midnight Sun as well as an earlier volume of comics folk tales, Farewell, Georgia, both from SLG Publishing.
I’m a forty-something-ish year old freelance artist living in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I’m from a Navy family and consequently grew up in various locations throughout the U.S., but I’ve lived in North Carolina for most of my adult life and call it home.
I studied philosophy at Davidson College, but finding the job market for professional philosophers somewhat lacking, I joined a rock band after graduation, made a record for an indie label, and spent a couple of years touring the Southeast in a Chevy van with a transmission that would occasionally, and without warning, burst into a cloud of smoky burnt transmission fluid.
In an effort to ward off practical pursuits for a few more years, I decided to return to school to study “Sequential Art” (an unfortunate term for cartooning and comic book art) at The Savannah College of Art and Design.
Since then I’ve been working as a freelance artist…
- My portfolio: portfolio.benzilla.com
…published some comics:
- Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean (w/Sarah Stewart Taylor) from Disney/Hyperion
- Midnight Sun, a 136-page historical fiction book published by SLG Publications (aka: “Slave Labor Graphics”)
- My first full-length solo comic book: Farewell, Georgia
- My story “Count Stinkula: Hobo Vampire” is in Wide Awake Press #666
- My story “Toast” is in SPX 2004
- My story “Herding Cats” is in 24-Hour Comics Highlights
- Occasional contributions to the anthology “Strange Eggs” for SLG