I’ve never been a very confident drawer or designer of female comics characters and I’ve always struggled with them. One of the main characters in Oyster War, Lourdes, is a design that I’ve gotten less and less happy with as the story goes on and I’ve pretty much decided to re-design her head/face and redraw all instances of her, should Oyster War ever see print.
As a kind of “warm up” for that process, I decided I’d try to draw some of my favorite female characters/character designs from comics–and try to get them as close to the originals as possible. Here’s the final result. I’ll post scans of the originals with a key toward the bottom of the post. Do you know these characters? How’d I do duplicating them?
- Anna Greengables – from King City by Brandon Graham
- Adele Blanc-Sec – from the Adele Blanc-Sec series by Jacques Tardi
- Sonnet – from Zombies Calling by Faith Erin Hicks
- Ursula Major – from Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli
- Genoa – from The Unsinkable Walker Bean by Aaron Renier
- Annie – from Paul Has a Summer Job by Michel Rabagliati
- Wonder Woman – from The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke
- Enid Coleslaw – from Ghost World by Dan Clowes
- Belladonne – from the Belladonne series by Pierre Alary